Monday, November 19, 2007

Curly Girl: The Update

I am happy to report that the Curly Girl routine is working well for me. I have been dutifully avoiding shampoo and brushes, have scrunched and gelled, and here we are in coldish weather and I generally have in-tact curls instead of frizz. So far, so good. I've remembered why winter is tricky, though. It is no fun to have thick, wet and cold hair! From year to year I forget that my hair dries exponentially quicker in hot weather, long before my curls get all flattened out by the amount of time they spend being all wet. (Call me silly but I have limited space in my brain for storing practical matters such as this.)

The theory works, but I'm still in search of products that also work. Our town's water is also a culprit, I believe, because when I wash my hair while on the road, my curls manifest themselves in a much more orderly way. I've given up Pantene for curly hair, my potion of choice for years. I'm trying Kiss My Face brand products now, but I'm not completely impressed with them, especially for the price. The gel is nothing special, doesn't have much "grab" to it. I do need to try some of Massey's tips for adding moisture and shine. If you have tried some of her recipes and liked them, please leave me a comment about it!

It's all about embracing my humanity in its beauty....

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Marie-

Just to throw this in!
My son has fine hair. He also developed a flaking of the scalp. The dr recommended this medicated shampoo he was to use daily.

Guess what.. his hair became curly! A beautiful wave... I loved his hair before but also like it now. If you want I will read the bottle and get the name, it was presription, but I thought it interesting...

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Hi Curly-Girl! I'm quite happy with the results with my hair, too. However, I think I am in one of those stages of growth that I just can't get it to "go right" - do you know what I mean??

I am using Nexxus Humectress and I LOVE it. I just use a simple spray gel and I'm satisfied with the results, I guess...I also love wearing the tiny clips to give me some lift at the top - now that it is getting longer it pulls down more. I wish I could find someone to give me a trim...but I don't trust anyone! It does take longer to dry because I "drip dry" it for the most part (after soaking up the worst of it with a towel).

I just keep telling myself the Curly-Girl Mantra: "My hair is a delicate fiber". LOLOLOLOL!

I haven't tried any of the recipes - although I did one day try a bit of baking soda (suggested by someone else) and it dried my hair out terribly - and I only used a tiny bit on my scalp! UGH! Now THAT was a bad hair day!

Leonie said...

I have straight hair - so your curly hair sounds gorgeous to me!

Cindy said...

Yes, I have alwyas loved curly hair.. but have very thick (course.. the kind a horse would die for) hair. Recently I let it grow a bit and the fringes started curling and I loved it! If I use a blow dryer it gets more straight, but if I just let it dry naturally it has the most wonderful waves!

One day I will get my hair *just* how I want it..

Good topic, Marie!

Marie said...

Cindy,

My hair is very thick and course also. Maybe you should consider reading the book! You might find a way to release those inner curls :)

Donna,

As it is over 60 today I am trying the drip-dry approach. I almost never use the diffuser and generally only towel dry anyway. But keeping more water in it does give more shape to the curls. Only problem is, it might not be dry until mid-afternoon despite the warmish temps!