Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Not-So-Happy Unschooling Day

Ok, since I glowed last week about how wonderful our days had been, it's only fair that I share the flip side of the story. Today was One of Those Days. Almost from my waking moment I felt pummeled, and I'm not sure it has stopped yet. I knew it was a bad sign when my son switched off the really cool music I had playing and snapped "I don't wanna hear it." We had some laughs and read some science books, but it seems every two or three hours we had to stop for a fight breaking out. I found myself right down at my son's level in trying to break up the fights. He persistently complained of boredom, or insisted on orchestrating his sister to play in exactly a certain way for him to be happy, or just irritated her and me on purpose. We had some good talks in response to all this earlier in the day, but towards dinner I just concluded we were all much shorter on sleep than I had accounted for, and talking was not going to do the trick anymore.

I had a brief peaceful, prayerful moment at Mass (before I carried my daughter out in an uncharacteristic screaming fit) as we sang the opening hymn:
Be Thou my Vision Oh Lord of my heart
Naught be all else to me save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought by day or by night
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence, my light.


Regardless of how life feels, I long to hold firm with the Lord who pulls me from one day to the next.

And speaking of "waking or sleeping", I need some extra shut eye tonight! Goodnight!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Marie,

Just want to say, 'I feel your pain" regarding your son and the whole idea of playing exactly the right way to make him happy. Our middle son, Ben, has a mood disorder and, for him, this is a huge thing. It seems we are all here to make Ben happy and when that doesn't happen...WATCH OUT! It get's exhausting! I hope you have more wonderful unschooling days ahead.

Thanks for reminding me, through your posts, I have got to get myself to Adoration. Spending time with Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament always reorients me in the right direction!

PEACE!

Marie said...

LOL!

I just read this post over and thought I should clarify that the screaming fit was my daughter's, not mine! I probably was not too far behind, though!

Rachel said...

Marie,

No,no, I got the message. I realized it was your daughters's screaming fit. What is funny though, is that yesterday Ben was just being...ugh!...hard to explain. Anyway, he had already made his sister really angry because she wasn't doing what he wanted to do. Then, he turns it on me. I ended up yelling at him like I was Autumn...just like a 7 year old. The frustration just welled inside and POP! out it came.
All I could hear in my head when it was over was my late mom's voice saying, "Rachel, you should know better, you're older." I'm hopeless. :-)

~Peace~