Friday, June 13, 2008

Again, Poverty

Let me take a running leap towards a far more succinct post on poverty.

In my pre-Catholic days, I never understood a "vow of poverty" as something good. Chastity and obedience I could sort of understand (although now I see I didn't, really). But poverty just seemed synonymous with misery. Taking a vow of misery seemed to fit only with a sadistic view of the relationship between God and self. (Truth told, I had a pretty strong vow of misery happening at the time!)

Now I'm seeing that poverty (along with sisters chastity and obedience) are simply means of being more and more available to God. Loving these things means strongly desiring God. And strongly dealing with our human stuff. By grace, drawn by the Beauty of Christ.

Welcome to the kingdom of God, where the first go last, those who lose their lives find them, where a child leads and where those in authority must not lord it over others.


The view is a little weird sometimes, but I like it here!

1 comment:

clairity said...

The picture says it all!