Monday, May 12, 2008

The Vice of Curiosity

I can always count on Fr. Dan Pattee for an intriguing homily. Today he borrowed a comment made by Cardinal Stafford during the weekend Commencement regarding curiosity as a vice. This set off a whole train set of thoughts in me.

Apparently Stafford was quoting medieval theologians like St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Bonaventure. As an unschooler and mother of young children, it came as quite a shock to think of this natural and developmentally appropriate action of children -- something I bank on in our educational venture -- as a vice.

But wait, truly this needs some further examination. Fr. Dan gave the example of King Herod who, during the trials of Jesus, was excited to get a turn with the famous captive, in hopes of seeing some miracle. He was "merely curious" about Jesus, Fr. Dan said. And we understand that Herod did not at all perceive Otherness in Jesus; he was looking for titillation, for entertainment. And Jesus had absolutely nothing to say to him.

Fr. Dan went on to talk about people who flit from one interesting idea to another. He gave the general example of some of his theology students who ask him curiosity questions. He said he tries to redirect them to understand the profundity of what they are asking, but often sees the glazed-over look come upon them, so he switches to a very basic answer and sends them on their way. They ask like children, they get an answer as if to children.

This quip loaded up two different freight cars in my mind. The simple one first: children. Children want basic, concrete information to help them make sense of their world. Connecting vice to a child's learning of his environment is nonsensical (and I bet St. Thomas and St. Bonaventure would agree). But, what happens when a person is 20 years old and still flits and doesn't want to think deeply about something that tickles their fancy for a moment? This indicates to me that something has gone wrong. Somewhere the maturation process has broken down. (And I wonder if perhaps it could be tied to curiosity being stifled when it was age-appropriate?)

The second freight car is a lot more personal, because I know I am the Queen of flitting. I am interested in many things, but my interest does not always translate to a commitment, or even necessarily an evaluation of whether commitment is a good to pursue. Fr. Dan talked about the need to commit oneself to truth, to the truth of what one is seeking. So, let me take the example of my meal planning expedition I wrote about last month. I was doing quite well until I had sick children about a week ago, and things gradually unraveled. Today I looked at the last meal plan I had hanging on my fridge, and considered: did I not consider this tool good and helpful? Then, even though I'm not to chastise myself as a failure for making unplanned dinners for a few days, can I pick it back up again as a helpful tool instead of treating it like a "mere passing curiosity"? I thought through improvements in what had been difficult with the planning process, and worked out the remainder of this week. I do not want to be just a flitter, dropping "truths" and "goods" on the floor like scraps to be swept up.

Back to St. Thomas for a moment. He writes this in the Summa, II. ii. Q. 167 A. 1

Thirdly, when a man desires to know the truth about creatures, without referring his knowledge to its due end, namely, the knowledge of God. Hence Augustine says (De Vera Relig. 29) that "in studying creatures, we must not be moved by empty and perishable curiosity; but we should ever mount towards immortal and abiding things."

It strikes me that this is very much what Fr. Giussani is saying, in that education must embrace the meaning of all things (the Mystery, God). If we are pursuing any field of knowledge without referring this knowledge to the true end, this is inadequate. This is what Aquinas calls the vice of curiosity.

I believe there is much practical good for me in these thoughts, and this seems part of what I wrote about in these posts about words of the Holy Father's that challenged me to deeper thinking about unschooling. God always gives me something for me, and something toward understanding my children's needs. I like how it works that way!

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

I also wonder if what we sometimes call "curiosity" in children is actually "wonder"? Curiosity is a word in front of which we can stick the word "mere." But wonder won't take the word "mere" so easily! Or if we substitute the word "openness" for "curiosity," we have a whole other interesting situation. Children are open and have a capacity for wonder -- these qualities can appear, on the outside, akin to adult "mere" curiosity, but they are different -- they are actually the qualities that Christ would have us imitate when he tells us to turn and be like children.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Cardinal Stafford's homily struck me, too. Both my mom and I took home the same message:
Wonder is more appropriate than curiosity. To me, curiosity has always meant dwelving deeply. So perhaps he is speaking of a shallow, titillating curiosity.

It's interesting though- a university should ask deep, piercing questions! I don't think there is an objection there.

But- if curiosity is to satisfy some deep desire, then I can well understand- and perhaps should learn to just be "in awe and wonder".

I suspect Judas wanted to know HOW Jesus did his signs, while John just stood in loving amazement.

I think sometimes our 'bad' curiosity is out attempt to become god. We don't trust at all. Curiously, Adam didn't, and I wish I could say I am so different.

Willa said...

I have been thinking about curiosity recently, too, so I was glad to see you blogging about it. That is an interesting point about how children need information about the world they live in, and everything is fair game. Suzanne made a good distinction in saying that innocuous curiosity, the childlike kind, is more akin to wonder than to the vice mentioned by Aquinas. Much to think about, so thank you!

Rachel said...

As always an extremely interesting post. I, too, and the Queen of Flitting which is why my blog was renamed to Chasing Butterflies. I am always onto something. I guess, for me, I love connecting everything back to the ultimate truth which is Christ. Somethings tho are just things I thought would take me deeper and just end up leaving me flat...so I leave them and then am on to something else. Vice...dunno? Worth pondering...yup!

Thanks!