Thursday, April 17, 2008

Papal Piercing!


I was able to watch the Pope's official welcome at the White House Wednesday morning. I was particularly struck, called, by the following quote (in italics, but given with a line of context):

The preservation of freedom calls for the cultivation of virtue, self-discipline, sacrifice for the common good and a sense of responsibility towards the less fortunate. It also demands the courage to engage in civic life and to bring one’s deepest beliefs and values to reasoned public debate.

I will have more to say about this, but this just pierced me as a personal call, first within the context of education. I've been involved in some interesting conversations on this topic lately, and I have my eye on other ongoing discussions, like on Willa's blog and on Unschooling Catholics.

I'm excited!

No comments: