Tuesday, April 08, 2008

On the dire importance of goofing off with your children

A hefty hat tip to Helen at Castle of the Immaculate for pointing out this gem from St. John Bosco on the importance of taking interest in children's interests to truly win their hearts and help them be open to truth and love. I have been thinking lately about how we humans can either be helps or hindrances to each other in our journey to God. I cringe to think of how severely this is true of parents. This piece convicts me of the wrongness of fobbing off my children with some non-reason for not sharing in their interest or game.

“Well then, what is needed?”

“That they be loved in the things which they themselves like by a sharing in their youthful interests; in this way they will learn to see your love in matters which naturally speaking are not very pleasing to them, as is the case with study, discipline, and self-denial: in this way they will learn to do these things also with love.”

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

You have no idea how difficult this is when they turn 13!

Anonymous said...

Well OK: my children are aged 14, 15 and 17, so I HAVE SOME IDEA. I think you just have to spend time with them & pay attention not much to what they do, but rather to how they feel in doing what they like. If I just look at my son's drawings of sharks and dragons, well, they are just drawings. But if I look at his face, I can see his rage against her "cruel" teacher. If I watch "Paulie" with my daughter, well it's just a nice silly movie. But if I watch her watching it, I''ll see her eyes fill with tears when Paulie sets the lab animals free, and I'll understand something more about her... This way, st. Giovanni Bosco's piece of advice "works" with adolescents too.