Thursday, May 01, 2008

My Happy 100

Donna at Mice and Moonbeams has me contemplating 100 things that make me happy, listed in no particular order. It is a minor blog trend, doesn't that seem nice?

So, I'm thinking. I fear I could probably make a list of 100 pet peeves with less thought, but I know I would feel pretty low only part way through creating such a list.

Here 'goes: 100 things that make me happy, listed in no particular order.

1. going to Mass
2. my husband's smile
3. my children's laughter
4. my daughter's kisses
5. listening to my husband sing
6. sunny spring days
7. the smell of lilacs
8. blue skies
9. a chorus of birds
10. quiet
11. bagpipe music
12. Pachabel's canon in D
13. genealogical discoveries
14. legible census sheets
15. emails from friends
16. medium rare steaks
17. mashed potatoes (at least before they hit my digestive tract)
18. a plate of garden fresh tomatoes sliced horizontally
19. Michael Nesmith music
20. watching people play stringed instruments
21. my genealogy database
22. memories of God's interventions in my life
23. living in Steubenville
24. Suzanne's house
25. discussions at School of Community
26. visiting museums with my children
27. good oriental food
28. watching fish swim
29. comments on my blog
30. watching my son read
31. reading things I wrote long ago
32. listening to my daughter sing
33. thinking about my daughter's birth
34. the smell of church incense
35. hearing a priest talk about his passion for God
36. our Bishop
37. realizing that other people struggle with the same things I do
38. talking about science with Jeff
39. when any friend smiles at me
40. when people make a point to say hi to me, by name
41. melted butter
42. seeing older people with well-aligned spines and good posture
43. middle-eastern music
44. polka dancing
45. Annie's Song by John Denver
46. singing with my CL friends
47. putting other's needs before worries about myself
48. spending 'quality time' with my son
49. my husband's steady personality
50. having someone contact me whom I haven't talked with in a long time
51. watching ethnic dancing
52. men with ponytails
53. British comedies (many, at least)
54. participating in a quick-witted conversation
55. laughing until my belly hurts
56. watching The Monkees
57. dancing with my whole family in the kitchen
58. hanging laundry outside to dry
59. "old" houses
60. looking at my house when clean
61. using our push mower
62. washing dishes after serving a meal to company
63. watching someone else get excited about something I've told them
64. remembering an argument with my college philosophy professor
65. having my children home with me
66. walking down the block when it is warm
67. living down the block from Alan and Nancy Schreck
68. feeling free to be me
69. eating Namaste brand blondies with chocolate chunks
70. roast beef
71. green beans
72. singing the Mass of Creation at the top of my lungs
73. being with people who are in love with Jesus
74. salt
75. learning
76. the hills of the Ohio Valley
77. Steubenville's downtown library
78. knowing my way around
79. Christmas Eve Midnight Mass
80. hearing a skilled lector read at Mass
81. watching my daughter play
82. my daughter's smile
83. emails from distant relatives doing genealogy
84. educational documentaries
85. Scotland the Brave
86. the Wiggles singing Christmas hymns
87. a Catholic parish where most everyone sings
88. post offices
89. health food stores
90. buying clothes at thrift stores
91. discovering spring wildflowers
92. heat
93. my hair being curly
94. white Christmases
95. waterfalls
96. nature trails
97. curly-haired toddlers
98. being able to fix things for my children
99. listening to my son talk with other adults
100. having lots of people read my blog :)

Wow! That wasn't too hard after all. Now, aren't you inspired to share your happy 100?

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

yes, I am!

Unknown said...

I'm working on mine now...

But I must ask: which Britcoms do you like? I'm a fan of One Foot in the Grave, Keeping Up Appearances, The Vicar of Dibley, and Are You Being Served?

Have you ever seen a Canadian sitcom (I'm hesitant to call it a "sitcom") called The Red Green Show? It's funny, too, and it's on channels 7 and 10 on Saturday nights. (It's basically men making fun of themselves.)

Marie said...

I do know the Red Green Show. Our PBS stations only come with with intensive effort (involving holding the rabbit ears just so -- we are cable hold-outs) so we hardly ever watch them anymore.

My all time favorite is To the Manor Born, but I also really like One Foot in the Grave, Keeping up appearances, Are You Being Served, Waiting For God, and Black Adder. Oh, Fawlty Towers, of course and I suppose I could throw in Monty Python, but I haven't seen that since I was a kid.

Unknown said...

I forgot Fawlty Towers and Monty Python! I love those, too!

But people get a little upset about Monty Python -- I was virulently attacked in an educational psychology class upon raising the subject. I guess it's "anti Catholic" -- who knew?

Mathochist said...

Oh, Monty Python is anti-everything! That's what makes it so funny.

Here is a comment for your #29. ;)

I need to do this, too!