Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Servant Song

Last weekend our choir director told me about this lovely song he'd just heard when he was away. He thought it would be great for me to play the guitar part as he played the piano and the choir led the congregation. And then he tells me the title: The Servant Song.

Oh, man!

This is a song I have known and loved since I was roughly 12 or 13. Once upon a time it had a different meaning to me, a sort of a wishing for real people to whom I could address the song. And now... well, all I can say is that it is a very providential choice, out of all the Christian songs in the history of mankind done with guitar, for him to propose this way.

Here is the author of the song singing it. (Unfortunately, embedding is disabled.) The gendered words have changed a bit: I learned it just as "Brother, let me be your servant," but the version in our hymnals is different yet again. Scroll down on the youtube site to read the lyrics.

4 comments:

E said...

I LOVE this song. It reminds me of my time at Duquesne. Thanks for the cry today, I needed it. :)

Marie said...

When I read the comments on YouTube I was struck by how often people commented that this song makes them cry. I think I've known it for so long that it doesn't have that effect on me anymore, powerful as it is. But we'll see what happens when we do it this Sunday at Mass ;)

Donna said...

Boy this brought back memories. When we were getting married we were to meet with the organist after Mass one Sunday. He had the choir sing that song after communion just for us to hear. I fell in love with it and needless to say it was played at our wedding, 11 years ago yesterday. Boy how time flies!

Suzanne said...

I love this song, too. How did it go?