Monday, March 24, 2008

Patience vs. Acedia

While I'm busy grappling for my own words, I wanted to share Willa's post "It is possible that God says every morning 'Do it again' to the sun" (about Lissa's post "Every face I look at looks beautiful to me") about acedia. This I can relate to quite a bit right now.

An excerpt, where Willa quotes Josef Pieper:

“One of the most central concepts from the moral philosophy of the High Middle Ages is that of acedia, which we, very ambiguously and mistakenly, are accustomed to translate as “laziness”. Acedia, however, means this: that man denies his effective assent to his true essence, that he closes himself to the demand that arises from his own dignity, that he is not inclined to claim for himself the grandeur that is imposed on him with his essence’s God-given nobility of being” (A Brief Reader on the Virtues of the Human Heart, p. 51).

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Marie,

The following excerpts are from:
http://www.catholic.net/rcc/Periodicals/Homiletic/Aug-Sept99/depression.html

The term in classical Christian spirituality for life-robbing dreariness or sadness is “acedia.”
As St. Thomas Aquinas explains:

"On the other hand, to look upon some worthwhile good as impossible to achieve, whether alone or with the help of others, stems from extreme depression, which sometimes can dominate someone’s affections to the point where he begins to think that he can never again be given aspirations towards the good. Because acedia is a kind of sadness having this depressive effect upon the spirit, it gives rise to despair." (ST, II-II, 20, 4)

Acedia, depression, steals life away. It immobilizes us because it robs us of the hope we need to believe something good is possible. It deadens our belief in God’s love and goodness. Trapped in acedia, we lack the courage for the great things that God has prepared for all who love him. Acedia is the torpor of persons unable/unwilling to find joy in God. It is an isolating condition, cutting us off from receptiveness towards God and others. We can never find joy apart from loving what is truly good. Ultimately, we will never have joy unless we have union with god, Happiness Itself.

I found the above really interesting because I am *in* this place right now. The situation of the friend I mentioned in your previous post who just had the baby boy is so difficult for me, NOT because she had a baby. I have lots of friends who are having babies and I am thrilled for them. I am thrilled for her, honestly.

It is just that we are both the same age and both converts with husbands who are both reverts. We all thought we were done with kids (having 3 each at the time), her husband was 'fixed'. Her dh and mine had alot in common about the idea of more children (ie: NO WAY!!!) , but her dh had a beautiful change of heart regarding Church teaching and had a reversal. Their reward is the beautiful boy just born on Good Friday.

I am upset, because my dh still doesn't get why his ambivalence about this topic is causing me 'life-robbing dreariness'. Don't get me wrong. I love my dh, I am just frustrated at his lack of faith regarding the blessing of (more) children. (sigh!) And the fact that I will be 42 in a month, and my fertility is waning, isn't helping.

I won't deny I sound selfish and ungrateful. But I am really sad. I know so much how you feel.

Peace and prayers,
Rach