Monday, March 10, 2008

Learning, Blogs, and Control

You know, I really love the internet. It is like living inside a giant library. I really do love learning, too.

Ok, before I start sounding like a complete nerd, let me share my latest blog finds.

Changing Demography and Your Future by Kenneth W. Gronbach analyzes generational trends as they affect business, economics and politics. I think I love it because the man has written a book with the word "census" in the title. Genealogy, censuses and demographics all seem to fit together in a nice little interest bundle for me.

Another very interesting find is Servias Ministries Blog. This is a non-denominational Christian blog with an unusual blend of themes: theology, economics, and medicine -- particularly electro-dermal screening, a diagnostic tool that is of interest to me as our ND uses it.

I've been wanting to write a blog post about one sentence I recently read on the above site. You can find it in the right hand "interesting quote" column: "Love seeks to serve mankind, not control others by usurping requirement of the Cross." I keep pondering this, wondering to what exact extent is this true. I think of Peter immediately, and his desire to rebuke Jesus from going to the cross. Certainly he was trying to control Jesus, who would have none of it. If we can say that is true, then why is it part of "polite society" to act like we want to keep each other from the slightest dab of suffering? Aha! Of course! Because if we serve others in their suffering, the suffering touches us, too. If we want to keep the cross far, far away, the loved one doesn't have to suffer, and I don't have to go through anguish all on account of someone else, either.

Let me step into this pair of shoes for myself. When I try to control someone else, it truly is myself for whom I am seeking an easier time. I think it is true. I see it clearly when I think of my children wrangling over something. I want to control the situation because it is agitating to me to hear them fight. But sometimes, if I just take a deep breath, in ten seconds beyond what I can bear they have the situation peaceably worked out. That tiny cross extends my patience and they learn to work together and solve problems.

So, what I learn is that I want to avoid just wishing people an easy, problem-free existence (hint: it ain't gonna be so anyway) and instead ask what I can do to be of assistance in the midst of the real problems they do have. Or better yet, see and do without needing to be asked, when possible.

And here I thought this was just going to be a "fun new links" post. It's not often I literally get a "naru hodo" moment while writing!

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

You've given me a lot to think about, too! I wonder to what extent I do this "usurping requirement of the Cross" with my own children? Lately, I've been noticing how much I have to learn! Seems to be the theme of my Lent...

Leonie said...

Wow, very thoughtful. This whole control issue is often one that pushes my buttons, so to speak...

Rachel said...

Really great. I am really rehashing all of this 'control' stuff in my life right now. How I try to do it to my spouse, my kids, my friends etc.. (admittedly, I am much less controlling of friends, it's family that is tough). This is a great, thought provoking post. Thank you. Speaking of control. I am reading 2 good books that deal with alot of this subject:
Punished By Rewards by ALfie Kohn and
The Power of Mindful Learning by Ellen Langer. Sorry I am rambling. I am just so obsessed about this topic right now myself.

~Peace,