Thursday, July 24, 2008

But, the sky actually IS falling (or at least the ceiling)

Here it is, unschooling vacation day, and I learned something anyway. I learned that I get very unsettled when I have something that needs to get taken care of, but it is not taken care of. Like those times when the computer is wonky or we lose our internet connection. I just cannot rest until I get it resolved.

What I currently need to get resolved is this:



We returned from grocery shopping yesterday to discover part of our kitchen ceiling laying on the floor. Apparently some bathroom plumbing had been seeping for who knows how long, and our lovely false ceiling hid the fact, until the whole thing fell in. I used to be able to get in touch with two or three fix-it types very quickly, but I called eight different folks and have only had semi-positive responses from two so far.

It is so unsettling to me to know of a need like this and not know yet how I will get it squared away. It's not nearly as compulsive an unsettled feeling as a computer problem (because I usually see to rectifying those problems myself, so I'm on full-throttle "project" until I get it done. But it is one of those can't-seem-to-concentrate, spacey kind of unsettled feelings.

Perhaps contributing to this is that this week I seem to have lost or damaged my ability to feel tired. I was awake until at least 2 most nights (mornings!) this week. I had to mentally convince myself to go to bed; I didn't feel tired at all. This afternoon I slept for an hour, which is normally impossible for me (daytime sleep). Perhaps I need to experiment with different forms of mental challenge or relaxation during the day so that it is easier for me to shut down at night. Who knows.

Hey, if you are local and know of a good fix it person who is actually available, drop me a comment!

2 comments:

Marie said...

I'm pleased to report that the issue is being addressed as I type. I'm very pleased with the contractor. One never knows whom one can discover just by using the yellow pages!

Shauna said...

Marie - I'm glad you're found someone to start repairing the damage. I feel your pain. We're in week 4 now of our repair work after our upstairs water leak.