Friday, July 25, 2008

Christian Slavery

Today's gospel (Mt 20:20-28) is one that my heart comes back to frequently. I'm particularly drawn to the last half of the pericope. Now, Jesus does not require that we desire to be great, or first, or above others. But perhaps he realizes just how naturally this desire arises from the human heart, so he instructs us in what we are to pursue: slavery. If we want to be great we shall be a slave.

So, what is up with this?! Is Jesus really trying to give a backhanded message that we are not to desire greatness? I don't think so. As in all things, I think He calls us to imitate Him. He knew (and knows) ultimate freedom, having perfect communion with His Father. It was, indeed, this perfect communion which drew Him to take on penultimate slavery -- to serve mankind to the point of the surrender of both His physical life and the permanent sharing of His sonship with humans.

I think of the gospel text in John where Jesus washes the disciples' feet (clearly, an act of a slave). John 13:3-4 states: "fully aware that the Father had put everything into his power and that he had come from God and was returning to God, he rose from supper and took off his outer garments..." (italics mine). It was Jesus' awareness of who He was that prompted him to act as the slave of his brothers. It seems Jesus calls me to imitate. He does not desire to push my nose into the dirt. He is my glory and the lifter of my head (Ps. 3:3). Because he graces me with dignity, the indignity of serving others who cannot or do not respond positively to me is penultimate.

I am constantly reminded of my earlier life of ingratitude when I serve others now. So for me, service has a great penitential aspect as well.

No comments: