Wednesday, October 08, 2008

You!

Tonight I entered the adoration chapel for my weekly holy hour, and as I beheld Jesus present in the monstrance, my heart was swept up. "You!" my heart cried. "You are here!" What beauty.

My mind went to the healing Mass I attended last night: a powerful encounter with Christ the healer. That was like the way your body remembers what a warm embrace feels like.

And I thought of my early days going to Mass. Going into Gesu's chapel for the 5:30pm Mass after work, even in the days before I had made my profession of faith and received Confirmation. I remembered the feeling of entering that simple chapel, fixing my gaze upon the tabernacle, and feeling like it was my first chance to breathe that day.

I remembered what it felt like the very first time I had been present at a Mass, as I was enveloped among my friend and his friends, who had just received Jesus in the Eucharist. It was an astounding moment because in it I realized, I knew, I was accosted by the fact, that what had just transpired on the altar was infinitely more than just words.

It was Him.

It is You!