Sunday, October 05, 2008

Lost in Translation


Today our town had a Life Chain. I had another obligation, but the rest of my family participated. I couldn't help but think about one of the first Life Chains in which I took part. It was a cold and grey afternoon and a sharp wind bit at us as we stood along one of the main highways in Milwaukee. I was with my "fellows" from Risen Savior Fellowship, and we were intent on praying against the evil of abortion, and doing spiritual warfare for the hearts and minds of passersby. A woman not of our group turned to me after one fierce gust of wind and, shivering, said "This is a good penance, isn't it?"

I don't know what my face looked like in response to her, but I felt like I'd just seen a green faced person with three heads. Penance? What are you -- one of those Catholics who think God loves us to be miserable?

We may think or speak of our prayer or action differently, but let us all -- Christians, people of faith and people of good will -- respect life and work to bring that respect to all the world's vulnerable.

No comments: