Thursday, January 31, 2008

Computer Woes Resolved

Yesterday for a reason no one in the family can pin point, we welcomed a malware on our computer. After it was removed we discovered that Internet Explorer was no longer working up to speed, quite literally. So, last night I learned about Firefox, which has become our new family browser.

I'm quite impressed, for some strange reason, that I have gained almost all of my computer knowledge in the same way my six-year-old has; good old exploration and experimentation. Well, I can read, so of course I have research and googling in the mix. But when I returned from Japan in 1997 I had never experienced email, internet, or Windows Anything. I mastered WordStar in college in the 80s, and in Japan I even learned to use a monstrously large Japanese keyboard with which I could type in English with significant effort. I felt behind the rest of the world for a short time, starting grad school with no modern computer skills. But somehow today I am the go-to parent for all computer woes, and most of the time I can get things running again.

Ok, boring post, I know, but it was stressful dealing with this glitch, so I feel some need to pat myself on the back and celebrate that I can still access the internet!

1 comment:

Fred said...

don't get too addicted to Firefox extensions. Too many and your system will lag. If you're ambitious, you can make several profiles so you can get better performance when you need it.