Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Oh, About That Music

You people who read via Google Reader won't know what I'm talking about.

I recently added Pachabel's Canon in D to play automatically when you fire up my blog. This was my favorite classical piece since childhood, and I admit I heard it first on the light bulb commercials. Something about this song has always lifted my heart straight to heaven.

Of course, when it came time to plan my wedding, I wanted this song played. We were married in a parish with a very surly organist, and he made it clear to me as we planned our music that he hated Canon in D. On the day of my wedding, he told me that he lost his music to it and couldn't play it. I was ready to hurl him from the balcony. There was a 10 year old girl in the congregation that day who already knew how to play the song on piano by heart, and I considered bringing her up to play it.

So, we were married without my beloved canon. It took me several months to forgive that organist.

The song has become a mild obsession of mine from time to time. And since I found a respectable version of it on Deezer, now you can hear it with me. Or, you can turn off your sound if auto-play music bugs you as much as it can bug me on other people's blogs!

5 comments:

Marie said...

Ah! So I wonder if the surly organist had been a cellist as well?

Rachel said...

Marie,

I wasn't Catholic when we married, so we were married outside, on a Fall day, in the courtyard of a beautiful spanish style hotel in Palm Beach. We had a string quartet (I used to play Cello a long time ago) and I walked down the aisle to my sweetie to Canon in D. So, just to let that surly organist know, you aren't the only one who wanted that song in her wedding. :-)

Peace,

Rachel said...

Alex,

I LOVED that video!

Thx,

Rachel

Justine said...

Marie,
So sorry about the cranky organist. We had Pachabel's Canon played quietly during our vows and now it always makes me cry. Usually tears of joy.

Marie said...

Ok, I love the canon, but to be honest I don't care that much for auto-start music on blogs, regardless of what it is. So, I've had enough of a good thing for now. If you miss it, you can go to the Deezer box and turn it on, though :)