Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Shucks, I Still Haven't Conquered the World.

Do you ever get the irrational idea that if you just had a day to yourself, you could clear a year's worth of projects off your mental or physical to do list? Well, I get that idea and today I proved once again that it doesn't work. My husband took the day off work to drive to Columbus to see Mike Huckabee. Yes, he is that into politics. And he took our children with him. So, what can one mom accomplish on a rare day home alone?

I always seem to think I should be able to "do it all" -- scrub the entire house from top to bottom, bake, reorganize, read, and research hundreds of new people in my genealogy database. Well, I did accomplish a few tasks, like two loads of laundry and taking the recycling over to the dumpster. And I finished the rough draft of our tax return. After a quick tidy, I spent the afternoon working on my conversion story. And before I knew it, hubby and kiddos were back. Oh, it's not that I didn't miss them! But I had forgotten how long it takes to write an epic like a life-long story of conversion when one is 40 years old! I'm up to about 1994 right now. I'm seeing once again that the actual process of being convinced of the doctrinal truth of Catholicism, as huge as that was, was really the simplest part of my whole conversion story. There is just so much that holds us back from Christ that is so much more complicated than doctrine. What is difficult is all the work, all the pain that is necessary to endure before one is willing to give the truth a hearing. Truth, when heard, seems to do its work very quickly and effectively.

So, that was my day. One little grain of sand laid in the grand sandcastle of life!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Marie,

I had to write my conversion story for a CRHP retreat 2 years ago. And now that I am involved with CRHP again, I have to tell it again, but much has happened in the last 2 years, so I have to rework it a bit. What's worse is that it has to be told in 30 minutes!!!

BTW, I got in touch with C&L folks here in Atlanta. The only thing is that they meet on a night I can't attend, and worse, the meet in the city...not a fun drive. Anyway, I was wondering what you would suggest to read, if I wanted to dive in, on my own for a bit, until I can get my schedule worked out. I found the Risk of Education and that looks really good. Just curious if you think there is something better to start with?

Peace,
Rachel

Marie said...

Rachel,

I would recommend you start reading whatever strikes you. My friend Suzanne tells me that Risk of Education is wonderful. I've not read that much, really, because it is all so dense and the reading goes very slowly in School of Community. Right now what everyone is reading is a new book yet unpublished in English called something like "Can We Really Live This Way?" We have advance copies from the publisher -- just photocopies of the current draft. You can get it from Suzanne's website at this link: http://veniteavedere.blogspot.com/2008/01/is-it-possible-to-live-like-this.html
or find it on the CL website... somewhere! This, unlike most of Giussani, is easy reading!

Marie said...

Oops, let's try that link again:

http://veniteavedere.blogspot.com/2008/01/is-it-possible-to-
live-like-this.html

Suzanne said...

Oh, no, Marie -- what I've got posted is not the pdf of what we're reading. We're not supposed to post it since it's an advanced copy from the publisher. I would suggest that Rachel look at "The Journey to Truth is an Experience." But I have another thought that I'll share in a moment.

Marie said...

Whoops!

Ok, Rachel, just pick something and read it!