Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Defending Values and the Encounter with Christ

Last weekend I attended the Spiritual Exercises of Communion and Liberation. I was about as open and ready to receive something as I get, because I was feeling many aspects of my life at loose ends. It's hard to describe succinctly, but I knew that pulling off that Tax Day Tea Party had left my life sort of like newly plowed dirt. All turned over, not like it was before. At the same time I wasn't quite sure what came next.

I write that ("wasn't quite sure") like I'm all sure now or something. I'm not. But I heard something, experienced something, over the weekend that makes it possible for me to move forward, knowing that my life is all of a piece and that I belong to the One who makes me.

A tiny fraction of the time of the Exercises was given to discussing the role of Christians defending values in modern culture. But it was everything that had come before which made that tiny fraction so rich. Fr. Carron, who was giving the Exercises (they are recorded in Italy and then dubbed and distributed via DVD around the world) spoke regarding a situation the Italians had just experienced that was much like the 2005 Terri Schiavo case with which Americans are familiar. Because I can't quote exactly what he said (the text will be published in English soon, though) I'll paraphrase based on how his comments hit me.

Many people defend the right to life, other authentic values, and participate fruitfully in political debate who do not share Christian faith. If we, as Christians, just get in the fray and call people "idiots" who don't agree with our objectively correct principles, and get depressed when things are not going our way (and etc.) then how are we different from anyone else? How are we bringing the newness of Christ into our world? We need to start from recognizing WHY we uphold the sanctity of life, WHY we uphold (fill in the blank: personal liberties, free market economics, limited government, Constitutionalism, what have you). The why is the same why, the only why, that gives any coherence to our lives at all: an encounter with Christ through which I have heard Him say "Come, follow me" and I have followed. We get into trouble if we wish to defend Christian values, like fruit that grows on the tree, without being one with the root which bears that fruit, namely Christ.

Immediately this recalled for me what I wrote in this post about repeatedly sensing people's anger in speaking about political issues, and a sense of their confusion when I was not getting angry along with them. Why? Because if I get angry with people for their political views (one, let's say, which is clearly opposed to Christian teaching, like abortion) I do not have in view the fact that what they stand in need of primarily is either a) an encounter with Christ which transforms their lives or b) further encounter with Christ to help connecting their Christianity with the reality in which they live. The impetus then is for compassion, connection, education, evangelization and a heart for their screaming, unmet needs. (My CL brothers and sisters show me this need not be done in a syrupy, limp-wristed manner either. Ripping into bad reasoning has its place, but -- always -- ripping in friendship, of course!)

So, what about this Tea Party? I am now leading an offshoot group of political activists! Isn't God hilarious?! I spoke at the first meeting of how liberty is far more than a political principle, but it is a human need and a cry of the human heart. (All that has to do with the other 98% of what I experienced on the Exercises, which may or may not appear in subsequent posts.) But now I understand better that it is not enough to point even to really good fruit, or to admire politicians (Ron Paul!) who insist politics has limited value in solving human problems, and who point instead to endeavors of faith and personal charitable activity. Those two are certainly better than swallowing whatever swill we are handed or sitting on our hands either hopelessly or indifferently, pretending that nothing political is bad unless I am on the immediate receiving end of hurt. But we have to be connected back to the encounter with Christ. Jesus has this way about Him: He operates in reality. As we give ourselves to follow Him, He leads us through our realities and we have real opportunity to impact our corner of the world.

And how does He do that? Well, you'll have to wait a few weeks for the text, then come to School of Community and we'll talk about it.

No comments: