Friday, October 19, 2007

The Monkees!!

Ok, Jim Croche got me completely on a roll this afternoon. I've been really battling some internal things that I may or may not ever get around to writing about, but this afternoon I was lifted out of them by this music.

The Monkees played a huge role in my life from about age 10 until at least 19 and beyond. (For the record, no, I'm not that old; I first discovered them on re-runs in 1978. I was still a fetus during the Summer of Love.) Michael Nesmith was my alter ego, and nearly everything about them speaks to me of a time when music carried me far above anything that troubled me, and really led me to the love of God Himself.

So, enjoy some with me!



I watched this and got as swooney as Rose Marie!



This video is kind of lousy, but You Just May Be the One is one of my fav Mike songs.



This is a gorgeous song about the Immaculate Conception of Mary. And then they introduce the crew of the show.



I read the lyrics of this song for a poetry class I took in high school. Love the clothes. Does my love for this song say something about me?!

I could go on and on. It is hard to put into words what this music conveys to me. I think I love it more the older I get. Well, thanks for listening with me!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh, Marie, I totally LOVED the Monkees when I was about the same age. I discovered the reruns on Nickelodeon and about that time Nick ran a "Meet the Monkees" contest and I sent in 10 postcards... ended up winning 1st runner up and won all their records. I was in heaven. When my family moved a couple of years later I didn't have all my Monkees stuff (it went into storage for the summer); by the time we moved into the house I was sort of over them. But I still have good memories! I had probably seen every rerun 20 times.

Marie said...

You know, Jennifer, one of the terribly ironic things about my life is that I have never seen ALL of the Monkees' episodes. The summer they were on TV I had to spend a few weeks at my grandparents' house, or the show was sometimes preempted for a baseball game. I know they are all out on DVD, and have been out on video for ages, but I've just never been able to sit down and see them all.

It is really weird to find my son deeply interested in them. Makes me feel almost as old as the Monkees currently look! As I was browsing YouTube last night I saw a video tribute to Mike, showing some current pics of him. I thought "who is that balding, white-haired tubby old man?!?!" I think he will always be about 24 in my mind :)

Lisa said...

Oh, my gosh! You're the only other one I ever heard of that loved Mike! It's an interesting accident I'm sure that my husband reminds me of him a little in looks... &:o) Grew up with them at the same time you did, and still love the Monkeys!