Sunday, December 30, 2007

Getting Political: Why I Like Ron Paul

My husband has been primarily responsible for my education in things political. One of our first dates was to hear Alan Keyes speak at a pro-life function, and I have distinct memories of getting into a big "debate" over gun control on a date soon after. For me then the ardor involved was only concerning trying to figure out who this man was to whom I felt so attracted. And why did he, who was not even an American citizen, give two rips about the American constitution?

He is now naturalized (a process we were scrupulously legal about, I'll have everyone know). I'd be hard pressed to say I've ever met anyone prouder to be an American or to be more loyal to his country. I've met some who are just as proud and just as loyal, but never anyone more so.

I'll admit it, that includes myself.

As long as there is legalized abortion here, just to mention one injustice, I have a hard time puffing my chest out.

But, just as it often takes the Catholic convert to ignite passion in the cradlers, it takes an immigrant to teach me a thing or two about American politics.

Now I know my ideas are my own because I'm set on my presidential candidate of choice, while my husband is still analyzing all the data on his top two favorites (neither of which are mine!).

I am an idealist, and for me to get excited about a candidate, I need something to appeal to that aspect of me. I need a person whose thinking inspires me and opens up new thoughts for me. What a candidate stands for is important, but more important to me is the person himself. The person holds the office, after all, not a list of campaign platforms.

I like Ron Paul. Once I understood his thing about sending issues like drug use and prostitution to the State level for regulation, I found the vast majority of what he says very appealing. He opposes not only abortion for any reason but also federal funding of contraception. He has a great health care plan. He wants to eliminate federal control over education, and other issues that don't constitutionally belong to the federal government. When he talks he stands for what he believes, and doesn't seem like he's doing "talking points" that someone else has edited for him. For these and other reasons, I like him.

There is that one negative factor, namely that it doesn't seem he has a snowball's chance in hades of winning the Republican nomination. But to me, my vote should be cast in representation of my beliefs. It is refreshing to find someone that actually makes it possible for me to do that.


2 comments:

Cindy said...

Hi Marie-
I cut my political teeth in college in the Liberatian circles... too and hear you.

But, how do you feel Ron Paul would do with foreign affairs? I wonder if he is too naive and isolationist to deal with the major situations we have today?

Just curious.. if you feel like chatting about it!

Marie said...

Hi Cindy,

Bush ran on an isolationist platform in 2000, and I agreed with him. Obviously he changed his position after Sept. 11. If being isolationist is naive, then perhaps I am naive. I just don't necessarily see the United States as the world's problem solver. We are involved with the world's problems, to be sure, but whether we solve them or not is another question. Paul seems to say that the way to guard against terrorism is to secure the borders. I am not as excited about the immigration issue as some, but it does make sense to me to focus on protecting the country rather than trying to go out and "fix" everyone else in the world. It's costly and probably doesn't give the next generation any less to fix.