Sunday, July 12, 2009

Some Things Change, Some Things Stay the Same

I like to note precise dates, so it amazed me when I just realized that it was exactly 25 years ago today that the event described in this post took place.

It's funny, because I've been thinking about a song I wrote about three years later in reference to the pastor mentioned there.

You Have Changed My Life

I've tried so many times/to say what's on my mind
But still I feel my mind has not been heard
I've tried so many ways/But I've waited so many days
But now I know there's something I gotta say
But how am I supposed to look you in the eye and tell you the truth
You have changed my life

You prob'ly don't even realize
How important you are in my eyes
But maybe it's better that you don't know
Cause if you really knew/I'd shy away from even looking at you
That's just the way I am I wouldn't know what to do
Cause how am I supposed to look you in the eye and tell you the truth
You have changed my life

It seems silly that it's so hard to say
I wish I could throw these chains away
But if I let me feelings fly too free
They may never come back the same to me

So I'll try a few more times/to say what's on my mind
Hope I always feel my mind has not been heard
I'll try a few more ways/but I'll wait a few more days
And all along I'll be sayin' what I gotta say
How am I supposed to look you in the eye and tell you the truth
You have changed my life


The reason I thought of this is because I recently shared a sort of testimony with someone else about how my life had been affected by him. A couple of the emotions were the same as what I expressed here when I was 19. It still is work to express myself as clearly as I'd like about something deeply meaningful. I guess I'm no longer as willing or eager to hide, however. And I'm not worried that my experience is all simply a feeling that is likely to vanish as soon as I express it. Most of all, I still see that experiencing Christ's presence in this way compels one to tell it, regardless of how difficult. I did, as I recall, send this song to Pastor Turriff (along with others in a similar vein).

No comments: