Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Getting the Point of Lent

I heard a great homily yesterday that was a good segue to Lent, all about how the disciples really missed the point when they were arguing about who was greatest. Jesus had just revealed that he was going to be betrayed, suffer, and die, and they were hung up on debating which of them was the most special. The priest illustrated his homily with an example of Christians fighting over when to pray the Divine Mercy chaplet, and he pointed out how we can miss the point of Lent, or indeed the Christian life in general, when it becomes all about us, all about me.

I have tried to do Lent like an endurance contest, and I have done Lent as if penances are a minor annoyance. This year I want to walk through Lent with Jesus. The Church of course gives us the basic guide of how that is done, and of course I am free within my relationship with Christ to choose little gifts to give to Him. But the point is Him.

I am still thinking about this blog post from Willa entitled Serenity and Vigilance. Serenity speaks to me of not getting myself worked up. Vigilance speaks of watching, pondering, being with. Both speak to me using my mind in fully intentional ways, prudent ways. This is what I want to keep pondering as we enter this season of preparing for the high holy day of Easter.

No comments: