Monday, August 21, 2006

Homeopathy

One of the Yahoo! lists I belong to has been debating the value of homeopathic medicine in light of what our Catholic Church teaches.

Some of the members have strong feelings that homeopathy is somehow a part of the New Age movement. I'm sure if the only people they have known who use homeopathy have been New Agey folks, if the only websites or books they have seen about it have been slathered with New Age talk, well, ok, I can see how they would get the association.

But as I keep saying to my husband, if the local coven of witches all breastfed their babies, would that make breastfeeding a Wiccan practice?

I can get fairly emotional about healthcare topics. Although I see it more as getting "passionate". I have a crusading streak that really wants the best for people and I really really like the feeling of offering something to someone that may be just what they need to turn some kind of a corner to better days.

You can lead a horse to the corner, but you can't make him go around it.

Plus, I am learning to admit that I don't know everything, and that any argument made based on "passion" is not scientific proof. I'm not big on science (because after all I am a female who went to public schools!) It is a gap in my own education. I am slowly working to correct that gap, and learn.

So I've been doing a bit of research/reading on homeopathic medicine. I was directed toward a very interesting website: This one was pretty interesting, too.

I really enjoy learning about this stuff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post

Marie said...

b.v.: what you describe is the essence of homeopathy, not a main criticism. if this is put forth as a criticism, then the person speaking doesn't understand the concept at all.