Monday, June 26, 2023

I am Sad


Yesterday, I told a friend, "If grief comes in waves, my waters are pretty choppy right now." 

On Saturday evening, the pastor of my parish passed away after just over a week in hospice care. He had been battling health problems for just about 18 months, but eschewed retirement (though he came of age to do so) and every report he gave on his health condition was that he was feeling better all the time. The last time he was present at church for the after-morning-Mass coffee gatherings [about a month ago] he was famous for having started, he was telling stories and passing on information in such an oddly intentional way that I commented to my daughter on the way home, "He was telling stories like someone who knows he is going to die." 

After he went into hospice I was compelled to organize a week-long prayer vigil. First, it struck me that when he was ordained a deacon, he made a promise to pray the Liturgy of the Hours daily. If he was no longer able to pray the hours, I wanted the parish family to be able to pray the hours "for" him. I've been told we've always been a bit of a pastor's dream parish, because there are lots of people in place to take care of many aspects of parish life, freeing the pastor for his actual ministry (instead of maintenance and such). There's a lot I can't do, but as a Carmelite, at least I can pray, and lead people in chanting. 

Also, I realized that sometimes people need to physically move their bodies into church and produce words with other people, in order to process difficult news. When my mother died and my sister did not hold a funeral until six weeks later, it was extremely hard for me to not have anyone to gather with. 

Another also, last week meshed with a very free week for me at home since I was home alone (or far more alone than usual) most of the time. And while I knew the schedule would get a little intense, I need things to be a little intense in order for me to match the intensity going on inside me emotionally.

And still when I got the phone call, and in the hours that have followed, I'm bouncing from disbelief, shock, tears, joy, gratitude, anger, more tears, and, well, blogging.

What I realized throughout the week is that it is one thing to lose a person you love. It is another thing to lose a person you love who has been with you at and through your life's most difficult moments and most joyful moments. Because there is not only the sadness of losing their presence, their very felt presence. There is also the re-opening of both the gratitude and the entire drama of pretty much everything you've ever felt deeply in their company.

Maybe that's obvious to some, but I think this is the first time in my life for such an experience.

There's more to say on this in connection with my Seven Sorrows rosary journey, but I'll save that for later.

No comments: